American International Group, Inc., (AIG) is an American insurance and financial company with current operations in more than 80 countries worldwide. The corporation has been one of the frontrunners in the financial protection sector for at least a century. They offer a range of services from financial planning to life insurance.
The company features the AIG Private Client Group – which is one of the most preferred services for property insurance. It is especially useful for people who want to have highly personalized home insurance coverage due to their high liability limits and expansive coverages. Additionally, AIG offers excellent added perks for their policies, for example, a private firefighting service if your home is located in an area that is wildfire-prone.
However, while AIG has a solid line-up when it comes to home insurance coverage, it clearly struggles with one of the most important aspects – claims processing. It received low scores from both U.S. Property Claims Satisfactory Study and J.D. Power.
The Private Client Group package is the single policy that AIG offers for home insurance coverage. This home insurance policy is well-suited for homeowners who need adequate coverage for an extensive amount of property. AIG offers liability limits and flexible loss-settlement provisions that is higher than what most insurance companies offer.
Dwelling – All risk coverage for your property including other structures and personal items.
Extended Replacement – Replacement of dwelling and other structures up to 50% in South Carolina, Florida, and Hawaii, and up to 100% in California. Guaranteed replacement for properties in most other states.
Deductibles – Coverage up to $100,000
Waive Deductible – Deductible is waived if it is $25,000 or less – or if your loss is greater than $50,000.
Optional Cash Loss-Settlement Reimbursement – In case you do not want to rebuild or replace your property.
Loss of Use – Unlimited
Medical Payment Coverage
AIG offers a long list of possible discounts which you can take advantage of.
- Companion Policy Discount – You can enjoy discounts when you combine your premiums with other policies such as auto, excess liability, etc. This is also known as bundle or multiple policy discounts.
- New Home Discount – Receive up to 10% if your dwelling is less than 10 years old.
- Renovated House Discount – Save up to 10% if your home is renovated for heating, plumbing, and electrical systems within the last 10 years.
- Gated or Guarded Community Discount – Get a discount if you live in a guarded or gated community.
- Central Station Fire Alarm Discount – Save up to 5% for homes that are equipped with the fire alarm that will alert authorities.
- Residential Sprinkler System Discount – Up to 5% discount if your home is partially fitted with a sprinkler system and up to 10% if it is fully fitted with a sprinkler system.
- Superior Protection – You can enjoy a 10% discount if you have a combination of the following protection for your home: 24/7 security guard, smart home devices, full-time caretaker, perimeter gate, or a generator that is permanently installed.
While AIG offers one of the most comprehensive home insurance coverage, it does not score well in terms of consumer reviews. In a study published by J.D. Power in 2018, AIG scored at only 3 (About average) out of 5 Power Circles for overall customer satisfaction. This score falls below the average across the industry which is a worrying point for AIG since it offers high premium rates.
Consumer review website, Clearsurance, reveal that customers scored AIG at 4.14 out of 5. Many customers are satisfied with how AIG’s customer service handled their inquiries and concerns.
In 2017, A.M. Best Ratings which scores the financial strength of a company gave AIG an A (Excellent) rating. This rating translates to AIG’s trustworthy ability to be able to fulfill their financial obligations.