Founded in 1905 at Galveston, Texas by the Moody family, American National has a major focus on financial products including health disability, annuities, and life insurance. They also write casualty and personal property insurance including home and auto insurance policies. Other than that, commercial insurance products are also available with American National.
It is a group of companies writing insurance products in all 50 states as well as the District of Columbia, although the type of policy available varies by state. New York is the one state where only affiliated companies and subsidiaries are licensed to do business.
American National Insurance Company is the parent company of a large network of companies including:
- American National Property and Casualty Company (ANPAC)
- American National Life Insurance Company of New York
- Farm Family Companies
- Standard Life and Accident Insurance Company
- Garden State Life Insurance Company
- American National Life Insurance Company of Texas
Table of Contents
Home Insurance Products
American National’s HO-3 plan is basic and provides coverage for the home, side structures on the property, personal belongings, loss of use liability and medical payments. The following are covered under American National’s HO-3 policy:
- The home. American National’s basic HO-3 plan guarantees a full replacement cost if the home has to be rebuilt. The company will cover the client for all damages to their home. This plan seems to include all-around coverage against all perils, and clients can negotiate the coverage on their home.
- Personal belongings. All personal belongings inside the house are insured. This policy applies even if the owner is away from their home when their belongings are damaged. Personal belongings include items such as clothing, furniture, appliances, electronics, silverware, phones, equipment and more. The only exception to this policy is high-value items such as luxury items, precious metals, and collectibles which clients have to insure separately to get full coverage.
- Loss of use liability. If a home is completely destroyed, the company will pay for a client’s living expenses while their home is being repaired. This includes hotel costs and virtually all living costs until the home is habitable.
- Medical payments. Medical liability covers all guests, if a family member or guest is injured on the property, the company will reimburse them for all their medical expenses even if they don’t have medical insurance.
American National’s condominium insurance provides similar coverage as the HO-3 plan, however, the main difference is that the replacement cost guarantee is optional for condo owners. Condominium unit owners are provided coverage at an X-dollar amount (which they can negotiate), and they’re also entitled to repair costs, personal belongings, loss of use liability and medical expenses. If a client wishes to upgrade their condo insurance policy at guaranteed replacement cost, they can purchase this policy as an optional add-on.
The most common types of discounts on almost all home insurance providers are:
- Smoke and fire alarm discount
- Burglar and security system discount
- New home discount
- Auto and home bundle discount
- New roof discount
However, in American National’s website, discounts aren’t posted either. The best thing that you can do is to ask your agent about the discounts they’re offering.
Claims Process and Customer Service
When it comes to their claiming process, American National provides very little detail on their website. You can download their claims form and submit it on their website, however, it’s only available for health and life insurance claims. There is no claims form available for home insurance claims and you should contact the toll-free number indicated on American National’s website.
This might be a strategy of the company to get more life and health insurance policyholders because it’s their top priority. However, the information on their website are still few and needs improvement.
You can log in to their system to manage your account once you become a policyholder and there is information available to contact American National’s customer support, however, there is no information about whether you can file a claim through this system or not.
It seems that the company accepts claims through the agents that sell their products or directs it through the customer support line. It is better to call their customer support to know how their claims process works.
Home Insurance Rates
We aren’t able to determine the price of their home insurance premium on each state because they don’t offer online quoting. The only insurance products that you can buy in American National website are their term and whole life insurance. They are more focused on providing life insurance to their customers and they have competitive rates. That’s why when it comes to the other insurance products they are offering, specifically for home insurance, it is hard to say how much they charge on each premium.
However, you can talk to their agents through phone by giving your contact information on their website. They will then call you back and give your home insurance quote. This might be a turndown to some customers who want privacy when it comes to their personal and contact information.
Customer Reviews and Customer Satisfaction Ratings
Based on 164 customer reviews in Clearsurance, American National earned 3.72 stars out of 5 in the home insurance category. Most of the reviews are positive, with policyholders saying they are able to save time and money when they switch to American National and that the claims process is fast. On the negative side of the reviews, homeowners complain about the company’s customer service.
They say that the company didn’t care about their policyholders. However, these complaints aren’t enough to justify the reliability of the company because there is also some positive feedback about how they interact with their customers. Maybe it depends on which state you’re in.
Customers say they provide low premium rates at the start but progressively increase them, even if the clients had no claims in their history. Positive reviews stem from policyholders saying that they’re quick to provide a response to emergency policies – funeral policies, auto accident policies, and home repair policies.
Clients say that American National has poor claim handling and that the take a very long time to process claims; while low-balling customers on the claims. Clients say their appraiser agents undermine cases in order to save money for the company. Their main customer support line is also hard to reach and transfers clients to a voicemail that responds after a full day. Many reviews are abysmal, but there is a significant amount of positive reviews despite that. American National’s customer experience tends to vary by policy, but most clients agree their customer service is mediocre and could be improved.
In the 2018 U.S. Home Study of J.D. Power, American National is not included so we will not be able to provide their customer satisfaction ranking all over the country. Unlike State Farm and Nationwide who all have an about-average customer satisfaction rating from J.D. Power.
When it comes to their ability to pay for customer claims, American National earned an A or Excellent rating from A.M. Best. This rating means that the company can pay all its policyholders’ home insurance claims.
The Pros and Cons
To summarize, here are the advantages and disadvantages of purchasing home insurance with American National:
- They offer different types of insurance in 50 states
- A lot of positive feedback
- No online quoting for home insurance
- No claims form for home insurance claims
- You need to give your contact information to have a home insurance quote