Photo of author

Kyle Rasmussen

Kyle has extensive background in financial planning and financial writing. He is an expert in home, auto and life insurance. Kyle holds a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from San Diego State University and multiple financial planning designations.
Read articles written by Kyle Rasmussen

Homeowners Insurance for a Duplex

Home insurance for a duplex home is typically no different from homeowners policies for standard single-family homes. If you are renting out both halves of the duplex, you may need to obtain a dwelling fire landlord insurance policy instead of a regular homeowners plan.

Read more

How Much Renters Insurance Should a Landlord Require?

Landlord should require a tenant to obtain enough renters insurance coverage to protect all of the personal belongings of the tenant. Renters policy should also include enough loss of use and personal liability coverages.

Read more

How to Make a Successful Water Leak Insurance Claim

Water damage can be complicated to understand, as some causes of water leaks are covered by standard homeowners insurance, while others are excluded.

Read more

18 FEMA Flood Zones for Flood Insurance Requirements

There are 18 different flood zone designations determined by FEMA. If your home is located in one of the high risk areas, your mortgage provider may require you to get additional flood insurance coverage.

Read more

Wildfires are covered by most standard home insurance policies. Homeowners insurance used to be called fire insurance for a reason.

Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Natural Disasters?

Standard homeowners insurance covers many of the common natural disasters, except for flooding and earthquakes. The list of excluded natural disasters can vary state by state and by location in general. High-risk and/or coastal properties may require additional coverages or standalone policies added to be protected from some of these perils.

Read more

Windstorm Insurance

Windstorm insurance is designed for areas where wind and hail damage is common and home insurance excludes these perils from their standard homeowners insurance. Usually, windstorm insurance can be added to home insurance policy, but in some cases, it can be a standalone policy.

Read more

What Happens if I Can’t Afford My Home Insurance Deductible?

If you cannot afford your deductible amount, you should still file a claim with your insurance companies. Speak to your insurer, as you might be able to negotiate a way to not pay the deductible.

Read more

Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Guest Houses?

Standard homeowners insurance typically covers your guest house as long as you do not rent it out. Other structures coverage B covers the structure of your guest house. Read the whole article to learn what else is covered, what is not covered, and what insurance you might need to get if you are renting your guest house out.

Read more

Homeowners Insurance for Homes in Need of Repair

Buying homes in need of repair can be stressful. It is important to get the right insurance policy to protect you financially while your home is being repaired or renovated.

Read more

Does a Denied Home Insurance Claim Count Against Me?

The short answer is that a denied home insurance claim may count against you. Two important factors that lead to a denied claim counting against you or not are your location and your insurance provider. Some states give insurance companies the ability to factor in denied claims to the premium rate that is assessed and ... Read more

Read more

service line coverage

Service Line Coverage for Homeowners Insurance

Service line coverage is usually available as additional coverage that can be added to homeowners insurance in a form of endorsement or rider.

Read more

Loss Assessment Coverage and Condo Insurance

Loss assessment coverage is part of condo HO-6 insurance policies. It protects the condo owner when some damage happens in the common area of the condo building and the cost to repair the damage exceeds the limits of the HOA master policy.

Read more