Finding the right home insurance is a big deal. After all, getting your home insured will give you and your family the best kind of security. Since your home is probably your most valuable asset, it is crucial that you purchase insurance that will be worth every cent.
In this review, we will look over Erie home insurance, one of the top companies in the United States that offer affordable premiums.
What You Need To Know About Erie
Erie offers auto, home, life, and commercial insurance. They are a publicly held company and operates through a large network of insurance agents across 11 states. In 2018, Fortune Magazine ranked Erie Insurance Group at 378 of the largest public companies in the United States, in terms of revenue.
The company is based in Erie, Pennsylvania and is known to hold more than 5 million insurance policies today. While they do not have a nationwide footprint, they are one of the few companies that offer comprehensive insurances for different types of homes.
Erie operates in 11 states including Illinois, Pennsylvania, Indiana, New York, North Carolina, West Virginia, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wisconsin, as well as, District of Columbia.
Home Insurance Coverage
Erie insurance for homeowners is one of the most competitive these days. They pride themselves for having one of the best customer service, according to reviews. Erie’s standard home insurance policy (Erie Secure Home) features the basic coverage which includes:
- Protection for the structure of your home.
- Coverage of the property inside the home.
- Liability coverage if a person is injured within your property.
- Living expenses in case you will be unable to occupy your home.
- Guaranteed replacement cost –guarantees that you get the current price of replacement or rebuilding your home even if you paid for a lower cost years ago.
Additionally, Erie’s standard insurance policy for homeowners have great benefits that may be very useful for some homes.
- Theft Protection – Coverage in cases of lost belongings.
- Pet Insurance – Pets are covered up to $500.
- Cash and Precious Metals – Valuables are protected up to $500.
Add-Ons To Coverage
While the standard policy covers the basics, it does not protect your home from specific hazards like earthquake and floods. You will need to get separate or additional coverage for these type of issues. This is important if your home is located in an area where calamities may often occur. Erie offers optional add-ons which you can bundle (and receive good discounts) with your standard policy.
- Water Back-up & Sump Overflow – Coverage in cases of backup of water from drains, sewers, and sump pumps.
- Flood Insurance – Protection against flood damage.
- Earthquake Insurance – Coverage against damage to the home due to an earthquake.
- Service Line Protection – Protection against damage to underground utility and service lines from the curb to your home.
- Jewelry and High-End Valuables – Coverage for valuables including jewelry, art, and rare collections.
- Firearms – Coverage for firearms.
- Computer and Equipment – Coverage for computers and electronic equipment.
- Other Structures – Protection for sheds, garages, and other structures.
- Personal Liability – Protection for liability in case you or other people are hurt within your premises.
- Identity Recovery – Coverage against identity fraud or theft.
- Home Business Protection – Coverage if you run your business at home.
- Rental Income Protection – Coverage to replace lost of rental income in case you have tenants that moved out in case of fire or loss of what is insured under Erie.
You will find plenty of available discounts for bundled policies. Even as you start with competitive prices, you can get as much as a 20% discount for a normal multi-policy (discounts vary per state). Erie offers its customers as much as 16% - 25% off, depending on the state, when you get bundled coverage for your home and car.
Additionally, they also offer other ways to enjoy discounts such as:
- Fire, Sprinkler System, and Burglary Alarm Credit – You can get a discount when you install smoke or burglary alarm or an automated sprinkler system.
- Advance Quote Discount – Get instant savings when you purchase an insurance quote 7–60 days before your policy is due for renewal.
Over the years, Erie has received good ratings from customers. J.D. Power ranked Erie 4th in the entire country for customer satisfaction. Furthermore, A.M. Best has given Erie a score of A+ (Superior) for their financial strength. The company continues to receive excellent feedback in almost all aspects, including great customer service, good policy offerings, and easy claims process.
We also checked what actual customers say from trusted insurance review website, Clearsurance.
"My experience has been phenomenal with Erie." - JustMax87
"Erie is reliable" - infinitecypher
"Good service but beg for better pricing" - Giraffe
Pros And Cons
Features You Will Enjoy
One of the best reasons to consider Erie home insurance is that they offer 24/7 customer support. This is a good addition because calamities and emergencies can happen at any time of the day. Their website is clean and functional. It also allows you to get updates on your policies or find an agent near you.
Overall, Erie features products and services that have been receiving good reviews from homeowners. Despite some customers clearly complaining about the need to offer add-on products, their huge discounts can help you save over time.