Kin Homeowners Insurance Review
If you want to get home insurance quotes in a matter of minutes and want to have a cheap, basic home insurance coverage, Kin is the best option for you. Know more about this relatively young company below, so that you can decide whether it's right for your needs.
Since the company values convenience, they eliminated common pain points, such as excessive questioning during the quoting process and long phone waiting times. All you need to do is enter your address to get a quote in their quoting system.
However, if you want to bundle multiple insurance policies and you want an in-person agent to assist you for your home insurance needs, Kin might not be a good choice for you. They also have limited availability. The company only offers homeowners insurance policies in Florida, Alabama, Texas, and Georgia.
Other than that, Kin doesn't write their own policies, it's underwritten by their insurance partner Velocity Risk Underwriters. Their partner investors include Flourish, Chicago Ventures, Portag3 Ventures, August Capital, 500 Startups, and August Capital.
Kin claims that they can get your home insured for less than 15 minutes. They are also promising to provide smart recommendations, more savings, and fast and informed experience for homeowners.
Is their claim true?
Yes. You can get insured for less than 15 minutes. They also have an 8.9 out of 10 rating on Trustpilot from customers, which means even though there are no in-person agents available when getting quotes or filing claims, homeowners are still satisfied with Kin's service. They also provide comprehensive guides that break down the home insurance situation for each state, making it easier for customers to understand the policies available in their area. These guides can also advise homeowners to consider getting additional coverage for their homes, such as hail and hurricane coverage, especially if the area where they live is disaster-prone.
Kin doesn't have an in-person agent to handle your needs and answer your inquiries but you will be sure to get quick answers on their website. They don't offer other types of insurance as well, meaning bundle discounts aren't available in Kin.
However, they are still a relatively young company and still needs to build its reputation in the industry. The excellent service they are providing today can still go a long way in the future.
Kin offers all the standard coverage options for home insurance, just like what State Farm and Geico cover for their standard home insurance policy. However, instead of providing actual cash value, Kin provides replacement cost coverage for all of its policies. This means that when you file a claim, you will be reimbursed for the total cost of your loss without deduction for depreciation. This can save you a lot of money. Read our article to find out more about actual cash value policies versus replacement cost.
They only have a few endorsements for homeowners, which includes:
- Scheduled Property - Allows you to increase the limit on specific valuable items. This is recommended if you have personal items worth more than $1,500.
- Identity Fraud Expense - If you're concerned about becoming a victim of identity theft, this endorsement is good for you. It covers expenses associated with compromised identity, such as credit report costs, notary expenses, and lawyer expenses.
Kin only has a few home insurance discounts and they don't offer bundle insurance. However, their rates are already affordable, so too many discounts aren't necessary. The company has a quoting system that will automatically search for applicable discounts for the policy you've purchased.
To save more, they have active partnerships with three companies, including:
- LiveWatch - Kin will install this security system in your home for free but you can also install this before purchasing a home insurance policy. You will be eligible for a 100-dollar discount per year if you install it yourself.
- MyStrongHome - This provides homeowners with financing for better opening protection or a new roof. It's not necessarily a discount, it just provides financing so that homeowners can save more for home improvements.
- FLO - Like LiveWatch, you will also receive this for free. This is a water leak detection system that can be installed in your main water line and can alert you if there are any problems in your water consumption, such as a burst water pipe. You can have a $50 discount every year if you install this in your home.
The company is not included in the J.D. Power U.S. Home Insurance Study in 2018, unlike State Farm and Geico who both got an average score for customer satisfaction. However, the customer reviews from Trustpilot proves that their customer service is convenient and fast.
As mentioned above, Kin has a partner who underwrites home insurance policies for them. This partner is Velocity Risk Underwriters. A.M. Best gave Velocity an A rating, which is one of the highest ratings available. This means that Kin's financial strength is strong enough to pay the filed claims of their policyholders.
The Pros and Cons
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of getting a home insurance policy with Kin to wrap up our review.