The premium that you pay for your homeowners insurance will increase depending on how risky it is to insure your home. If a senior citizen is the owner of the property, the risks are higher since they tend to be more forgetful and their response to emergencies may be slower.
However, senior citizens are also entitled to several types of discounts. Now, you may be wondering if there are special provisions for homes with older tenants. This article will discuss the in’s and out’s of home insurance for senior citizens. Find out the special privileges and restrictions given to senior homeowners in the article below.
Table of Contents
Senior Citizens Homeowners Insurance Discount
In order to help older citizens manage their finances during their retirement and this is why they are given discounts for basic necessities. With the passing of the Social Security Act of 1935, several types of discounts are being offered to help older people manage their expenses even when their finances have become more limited. Insurance is not exempt in this category, which is why it is vital to check on the discount offered by different insurance companies.
Apart from bundling discounts, senior citizens can also explore other discount options. There are discounts being offered for homes with safety features. On top of that, senior citizens can also file for a discount if they are in good standing with their former insurance provider.
The bundling discount is offered for policyholders that get 2 or more policies from the same insurance provider. It is important to get the policy that provides the best value for the money. Moreover, their insurance policy should also keep them covered in case of an emergency.
Some insurance companies offer a retiree discount for homeowners 50 years old and above. This can save them up to 15% of what they would normally pay. There are also insurance companies that offer a discount for senior citizens that work 24 hours or less per week.
How to Qualify for More Home Insurance Discounts
- Get Security System. Installing security devices in your home will help lower the cost of your insurance premium. On top of that, it adds a layer of protection to your property. If you are worried about the cost of installing security systems in your home, senior citizens can also purchase this at a discount.
- Check Warranty for Appliances. Common home appliances, such as dishwasher, humidifier, heater, and other appliances, may increase one’s insurance premium. However, if your appliances are still under a warranty, you can present the warranty to the insurance company to show that the items wouldn’t increase the risks of damage to your property.
- Get Bundled Packages. Insurance companies often offer different types of insurance policies. If you have existing auto insurance, you can ask about their current homeowner’s insurance policies and if they offer bundling discounts. Most, if not all, insurance companies offer bundling discounts and it is wise to use these offers in order to get more discount on your policy.
How to Choose the Right Insurance Policy for Senior Citizens
Offers Better Options that Suits your Needs
There are many insurance companies offering different insurance policies. Each of them will argue that theirs is better than the others. However, some of the providers will be able to better meet your needs. While there are some insurance policies that seem to offer better rates, you should always choose a policy that works best for you as you grow older. Aging citizens need security when it comes to their policy and it is important to be sure that your insurance company would always renew your coverage.
Special Insurance Features for Senior Citizen’s Home Insurance
One factor that I would consider when shopping for an insurance policy is the additional provision offered by the company. There are certain provisions that are provided to senior citizens if they purchase an insurance policy. However, these features aren’t always available. Your insurance company may or not offer them so senior citizens should always shop around for better deals. Here are the addon’s that worth including into your policy as a senior citizen:
- Deductible Forgiveness. In the event that the home experiences huge loss on the property, the insurance company may waive the deductible in favor of the owner.
- Lifetime Renewability. This protects the homeowner from insurance cancellation even when they file a claim against their insurance.
- Protection for Full Cost. Your insurance company will replace your belongings no matter its condition and state with an item that is of similar quality.
The limited resources of senior citizens should be all the more reason why they should get insurance. Our aged citizens are provided with the privilege of getting insurance at a reduced price. However, there are some insurance companies that offer better packages than others so it is important to shop around before choosing your preferred insurance provider.