Utica National Insurance Group is a New York-based public insurance company that provides a range of personal and commercial insurance policies. Utica National is one of the largest insurance companies in the United States – currently employing over 1,200 full-time insurance personnel and a network of over 2,000 agents licensed to sell their policies throughout the USA. Utica National provides insurance for all states in the union.
Utica National is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States – Utica National was founded in the town of Utica in 1914; the company effectively writes policies for over 100 years. Utica National was initially started as the “Utica Mutual Insurance Company and Graphic Arts Mutual Insurance Company” but the company dropped the long name in exchange for “Utica National”. Their main subsidiary company was their “Graphic Arts Mutual Company” that insured the first graphic communication companies in the U.S.
Table of Contents
Utica National provides a range of personal and business/commercial insurance policies. Utica National’s personal policies are available for automotive owners and real estate owners – auto insurance, home insurance, boat insurance, motorcycle insurance, rental insurance, snowmobile insurance, and umbrella insurance. Their commercial policies are expansive providing coverage for business owners – auto dealers, auto service, bonds, child care centers, private contractors, educational institutions, graphics communications, errors & omissions, libraries, manufacturing plants, religious institutions, restaurants, retailers, fire departments, wholesalers, worker’s unions and more. Utica National writes hundreds of insurance policies with customizable coverage and optional add-ons.
Utica National does not sell their policies directly but they have a network of over 2,000 licensed agents distributed in every state in the U.S. – clients can enter their zip code to find the nearest agent who will provide them with a list of policy options at no obligation. Utica National is located in New Hartford, NY.
Utica National home insurance policies are available for the following:
- Condominium unit owners
- Boathouse owners
Utica National is a financially stable company. Utica National is accredited by the Better Business Bureau, a company responsible for rating insurance companies based on their financial stability and customer complaint ratio. The BBB currently awards Utica National an A+ rating for financial stability and low customer complaint ratio.
Utica National was rated by A.M. Best, one of the largest financial institutions in the U.S. A.M. Best currently awards Utica National an A- rating which signifies the company is in Excellent financial standing.
Utica National offers a basic HO-3 plan that provides coverage for homeowners who currently occupy their homes. Their HO-3 plan is only available for owner-occupied homes and may have special limits depending on the state – the plan is available in all 50 states. Utica National offers a single HO-3 plan without optional add-ons and discounts. The plan covers the main property, side structures on the property, personal liability and medical expenses. The company does not list whether they provide loss of use liability in case of severe damages.
Utica National’s HO-3 plan provides coverage for the following:
- The Home. The HO-3 covers the home along with attached properties: garage and deck. The main home receives the most coverage from the HO-3 plan, with at least 80% of the total coverage. The home is insured against common perils: fires, hail storms, falling objects, tornadoes, wind storms, home break-ins, vandalism, civic upheaval/riot looting, water damages and more. Clients can optionally increase their limits on the coverage.
- Side Structures. All side structures located on the client’s property are insured. This includes structures visitor’s homes, sheds, workshops, animal barns, weapons storages, garages, boat docks and more. Clients can optionally increase their coverage on a side structure by paying more or allocating a percent of their home coverage for a side structure of choice.
- Personal Belongings. Client’s personal belongings are insured when they’re at home or on vacation (in case of a home invasion). All personal belongings in the home are insured: furniture, clothes, electronics, AC units, equipment, silverware and more. Clients can insure high-value items such as guns, watches, gold, art and antiques separately.
- Legal Liability. In case a client damages a neighbor’s property by accident or someone is injured on their property – personal liability provides coverage for all legal fees and settlement amounts. For instance, if a client’s tree falls on a neighbor’s property and damages their car the company will cover them in case of a lawsuit.
- Medical Expenses. If a client, their immediate family or any guests are injured on their property – the company will reimburse them for their medical expenses. The only exception is that immediate families receive higher medical coverage than guests.
Utica National provides an extensive condominium unit insurance plan for both condo owners and renters/tenants. The condominium plan offers similar coverage to the HO-3 plan, the main difference is that the exterior of the building is not covered.
Utica National’s condo insurance covers the following:
- Damages to the condo. This includes any form of damage caused by storms, water leaks, and interior damage to the walls, paint, windows and more.
- Personal belongings. Clients are insured for all personal belongings located inside their apartment, even while they’re on vacation.
- Lawsuit liability. Clients are insured in case they’re sued by a neighbor or they’re injured in their apartment. The company covers medical expenses.
Note: The condominium plan does not cover the exterior of the building – homeowners associations have to cover the exterior of the building by purchasing a master plan for their buildings. The plan only covers individual condo ownership.
Utica National receives neutral-positive reviews. Many positive reviews say the company offers low premiums, sometimes up to half price compared to other insurance agencies. Customers praise the company’s extensive coverage on basic plans. The customer service seems to receive high marks for answering questions on time. Clients say they were efficient and helped them with inquiries and claims processing.
Negative reviews come from people who say the company sends out cancelation notices in advance – even if a client has a history of paying their premiums on time, the company might send out a cancelation notice to warn them to pay on time. Some customers said the company billed them even after they notified them they’re canceling their policy.
Overall, the company seems to be responsive but has their modus operandi which might not be ideal to some clients.