Aside from excellent roadside assistance services, AAA is also slowly becoming known as a good insurance provider. American Automobile Association provides homeowners, renters, auto, and life insurance policies. AAA promises a good deal of insurance coverage especially for those who will get the insurance and are also members of their association. When bundled right, you may be able to get the best home and auto insurance coverage.
American Automobile Association is known for its membership benefits. Wherever the association is available in the United States, it’s insurance policies can also be purchased. AAA was established in 1902, a non-profit motor club which employs more than 40,000 employees in more than 1,000 locations across the United States and Canada. One of its most popular services is its roadside assistance, however, it also provides other services like identity theft protection, home, auto, and life insurance to more 56 million members.
AAA clubs are typically independent of each other so they have different claims to the insurance that they are offering. For example, the largest network of AAA is in Southern California, which promises to provide knowledgeable and friendly insurance agents. The second largest, which provides services in 11 states, promises to provide “more guidance, dedication, and commitment”. In short, the club offers different claims depending on which area you are a member of.
AAA home insurance coverage
There are dozens of AAA clubs which are independent organizations with different levels of connection to each other, their insurance arms are also not the same. So each may offer a slightly different type of home insurance coverage. To know the details of policy, it is best to contact your AAA club. Still, like any other standard insurance, AAA provides the basic coverage which includes:
- Dwelling Protection – Provides coverage for the structure of your home in case it is damaged by a covered peril.
- Other Structures – Protects other structure that is not attached to your dwellings such as a fence, a garage, a small shed, or even mailbox.
- Personal Property Protection – This covers items inside your home such as your clothes and furniture.
- Loss of Use – You will be able to get reimbursements in case you are unable to stay in your home while it is being repaired or rebuilt due to damage that is covered. Expenses that will be reimbursed are an additional cost for rental, food, gas, travel, laundry, and more.
- Personal Liability Protection – You will be covered in case a person is injured in your home whether it is due to an accident or your negligence.
- Medical Expenses – If a person is injured and requires medical assistance like an ambulance ride or hospitalization, your expenses will be reimbursed.
Just like most standard home insurance policies (HO3), this coverage will protect you in case of 16 most common perils which includes:
- Lightning or fire
- Windstorm or hail
- Damage from vehicles (Unless caused by the insured)
- Damage from aircrafts
- Riots or civil commotion
- Theft (With limited liability of up to $1000)
- Malicious mischief or vandalism
- Volcanic eruptions
- Falling objects
- Accidental discharge of steam or water
- Weight damage due to snow, ice, or sleet
- Freezing of household systems
- Accidental tearing, cracking, bulging, or burning of pipes or household systems
- Accidental damage due to artificially generated electrical current
AAA home insurance discounts
Discounts that are available for homeowners can vary depending on the exact location of your AAA club. Nonetheless, there are basic ways to save on your insurance policy. Most insurance providers will usually provide a discount if you are a premium AAA member or if you have purchased auto insurance from AAA. Still, you need to keep in mind that most clubs require that you purchase auto insurance before you qualify to buy a homeowners insurance.
Some common discounts offered by different clubs include:
- Protective Devices – If you install protective devices such as a burglar alarm, smoke detectors, or sprinklers you may be qualified to take up to 15% discount.
- Age of Home – You may be able to enjoy up to 40% discount depending on the age of your house, newer homes will get more discount.
- Claim Free – You can enjoy up to 13% discount if you did not file a claim in the last three or more years.
- Home Renovations – You may be able to enjoy up to 23% discount if your property went through a recent renovation such as renovated plumbing, electrical, or HVAC.
- Retirement – For homeowners who are 55% years old and older, they may qualify for a 10% retirement discount.
- Hail Resistant Roof – Installing a hail resistant roof may save you up to 35%.
AM Best Financial ratings have given AAA home insurance a score of A+ (Superior). With more than 115 years of service and backed by some of the biggest financial institutions in the country, it is one of the most stable company in terms of insurance and road assistance. JD Powers also ranked AAA with an excellent score. In fact, it has the highest rating in customer satisfaction in the Southwest area in 2018.
According to an insurance review website, Clearsurance.com, AAA customers are satisfied with their services enjoying a good 4.31 out of 5 stars.
AAA pros and cons
- This homeowners insurance is the best for those who are already a member of AAA.
- Great for those who are car owners who also wish to enjoy the perks of being a member of AAA.
- A great option for homeowners who are constantly on the road.
- This is only available for those who are members of AAA.
- Most clubs require members to buy auto insurance first before they will qualify for home insurance.
- It is not available for customers who live in an area where there are no AAA.
AAA has proven for more than a century that is one of the most reliable automobile clubs. The option to buy affordable insurance is also a great feature that they offer to their members. Unfortunately, since the club is operated independently of each other, some coverage may differ from others. Still the excellent reviews that AAA has been receiving make this home insurance something that homeowners must consider.