Chubb is a global insurance provider that serves all 50 states. They offer a wide range of products that include homeowners insurance, condo insurance, renters insurance, and equipment breakdown coverage. Chubb has many different options that allow you to create a comprehensive policy.
Chubb is one of the biggest insurance companies worldwide. Its parent company, Chubb Limited, is incorporated in Zurich, Switzerland. Chubb provides insurance in more than 54 countries worldwide. They provide a wide range of products from life to home insurance. The company was founded in 1882 and primarily sold insurance coverage for marine equipment. Today, Chubb is one of the most popular insurance providers in the country, constantly receiving excellent reviews both from the industry and consumers.
Types of Chubb homeowners insurance coverage
When you are shopping for a homeowners insurance policy, you can expect to get all of the basic levels of protection you would normally receive for your dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, personal liability, and medical payments.
Chubb has what is known as a Masterpiece Homeowners policy that boasts many additional features. Its dwelling coverage comes equipped with extended replacement cost protection to cover the costs to rebuild your house which are over the dwelling coverage limit, temporary living arrangements while the work is being completed, and an option to receive a cash settlement up to your policy limit if you decide not to rebuild/repair.
Masterpiece Homeowners policy raises the typical coverage of standard policies with extras such as:
- Extended replacement cost – In the event of a covered loss, Chubb will pay or rebuild your home to its original state, including needed upgrades for the current building cost, even if the cost is higher than your policy limit.
- Cash settlement – In the event of a total loss, whether you rebuild or build on a different area, Chubb will offer a cash settlement.
- Complementary risk consulting – Chubb has highly trained appraisers who can provide complementary services to make sure every part of your home is adequately covered.
- Temporary living arrangement – If your covered home is not livable due to loss or repair, Chubb will help you and your family members find a comfortable place to stay.
- Personal property coverage with replacement cost – In case your personal belongings inside your home are damaged, Chubb will replace all the items that turned your property into a home including items such as appliances, custom flooring, cabinets, and other fixtures. Upgraded appliances will be replaced with the exact or latest model. Belongings will be replaced without accounting depreciation, up to the limit of the policy.
- Extras – Homeowner policies will include extra coverage which protects the home from unexpected situations. This includes unique situations such as tree removal after a storm, lock replacement, or electronic data restoration for issues such as a virus attack. HomeScan is also available to help reveal issues such as leaks, faulty electrical connections, or missing insulations.
They are staffed with risk consultants to assess your valuable items and make sure your policy is offering full protection. Chubb also promises to replace any damaged items inside your home with upgraded versions if you do experience a covered loss. This all comes standard with their Masterpiece Homeowners policy.
Chubb homeowners insurance discounts
On their website, Chubb lists several ways you can save money on your homeowners insurance by qualifying for discounts. These discounts automatically apply to your premium if you are eligible.
There are two ways to save money when bundling multiple policies with Chubb. If you have home and auto with them, you qualify for a 20% discount. You can also get an up to 55% discount if you have a homeowners policy with valuable articles coverage.
These are some other ways you can obtain a discount from Chubb:
- Renovated or new home discount – You can save up to 17% if your home is newly renovated within the past 6 years. You can also get up to 25% savings for homes that are 10 years or less.
- Loss-free discount – If you have not filed a claim in the past 3 years you can get as much as a 5% discount.
- Superior protection discount – You can get as much as 15% off if you have a combination of the following: a 24/7 security guard, smart home devices, a full-time caretaker, if you have a perimeter gate, or you permanently installed backup generator.
- Additional protection discount – You can get an additional 5% savings for installing a fire alarm or burglar alarm, if your home is located in a gated community, a sprinkler system is installed in at least 10% of the area in your home, a fire hydrant is located at least 1,000 feet from your home.
- Payment discount – A discount of 2% can be applied if you paid in a single payment at least twice in the last 5 years.
- Having masonry construction
- Having storm shutters
- Having a suburban rating by living near a fire hydrant, having a fire alarm, and living within four miles of a fire department
Chubb’s additional coverages
Chubb makes it a point to state that extra coverages that are normally applied as endorsements by other companies are actually included in their Masterpiece Homeowners policy. You will also receive the following endorsements for no extra charge:
- Water backup
- Rebuild ordinance or law
- Identity fraud
- Wildfire defense services
- Family protection coverage
- Scheduled property
- Inflation guard
If you do want to purchase additional protection for your appliances, you can take advantage of their equipment breakdown coverage. You can add it as an endorsement to your policy. Equipment breakdown protection is offered in two levels Essential and Enhanced:
- The coverage limit of up to $250,000
- Covers breakdown of permanently-installed equipment
- The coverage limit of up to $500,000
- Additional coverage for computers, portable humidifiers, and small countertop appliances
Chubb homeowners insurance premiums
Because Chubb offers protection for homes that is often much more extensive than traditional policies, it is thought that customers pay higher than average prices. According to online reviews Chubb customers can expect to pay approximately 20% to 30% more than on average with other insurance providers.
Given the amount of coverage you have and the seemingly helpful services that come with your policy, the investment is one that is worthwhile. Even though the cost might be a little higher than average, you are still getting a great policy for your home.
While Chubb might not be the right choice if money is your main determining factor, they still present reasonable prices for the coverage they have to offer. A lot of people feel adequately protected and are okay with paying a little more for this added security.
Chubb home insurance claims
Learning how a company deals with claims is very important. In the event you must file one, you need to be sure you are adequately protected. Chubb makes it easy to file a claim directly on its website.
Customers seem to have minimal issues when it comes to filing claims and receiving payments. However, a few customers have reported in their online reviews that they don’t want to renew their policies with Chubb after some claims have been filed. These sorts of complaints are typical across most if not all insurance providers.
This can present an issue because you do not get to choose whether or not you experience a loss. These situations are out of your hands and are why you need insurance in the first place. It can create stress when dealing with an insurance company that could drop you because of this.
Despite this handful of negative reviews, overall customers appear to be very happy with the way claims are handled through Chubb. Even those who have suffered damage from hurricanes have stated they received compensation and got the help they needed.
Chubb’s customer service
When it comes to handling customer service requests, Chubb has many positive reviews stating customers are happy with the way their inquiries are handled. They praise Chubb for being communicative and efficient.
These customers state they have no problems getting in touch with the company when they need help with general policy servicing requests and feel that Chubb is helpful. They feel they have the support they need from a large insurer.
There are a handful of negative reviews that complain about Chubb being unprofessional at times and having to wait for a long time before being able to speak to a representative. Overall, these complaints are only a fraction of the good reviews Chubb receives online.
Chubb’s financial strength
As a company, checking on the financial status is important in case you need to file a claim. You want to make sure the company shows that it is stable enough to provide compensation and help its customers in their times of need. Chubb insurance company has almost $200 billion in assets and has received $52.0 billion in premiums in 2022.
Standard & Poor’s
Chubb holds an AA rating from S&P, which means that they consider Chubb to be pretty solid financially.
As of April 2023, Chubb holds an A++ rating through AM Best. This is indicative of a superior financial strength rating. Their future outlook appears to be stable.
Chubb is a large insurance company that provides homeowners insurance globally. They have an extensive homeowners insurance policy that is suitable for many types of homes and will provide adequate protection.
While most insurers charge for coverages that are seen as additional, Chubb makes it a point to include these by default. They also have a range of other coverages that can be added to ensure your home is fully protected to your liking.
When it comes to premiums, you can expect to pay more than the average when you choose Chubb. This makes sense because of how comprehensive the coverage is and will likely even out when you take into account all of the services you are getting.
Chubb offers plenty of ways for homeowners to save additional money on their policies by providing a detailed list of all the features they take into account when applying discounts. These are basic safety measures that are often applied to many homes.
Handling claims appears to be a strong point for Chubb. Most customers who have left reviews online report getting the help they need and not running into any issues. The most common complaint is that Chubb is known for canceling policies after multiple claims have been filed.
If you need any customer service help, Chubb is also good at making sure its customers are taken care of. Many are happy with their experiences and state that Chubb has great customer service. The negative reviews disagree that Chubb can be unprofessional and difficult to get ahold of.
When it comes to financial stability Chubb appears to be strong financially. They have excellent ratings from AM Best and S&P. Overall, it appears that Chubb is a company that has a stable future outlook.
Chubb is a good choice for comprehensive homeowners insurance coverage with a dedicated team who is looking to help. With so many endorsements included in their policies for free, Chubb’s home insurance works well for high-value homes with a lot of valuable personal belongings.