Hastings Mutual Insurance Company is a regional insurance company founded in 1960. They offer quality insurance products for businesses, farms, and individuals and is actively writing insurance in six Midwestern states, including Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. Their home office is located in Hastings, Michigan. Their business is positively mixed with 48% going to their commercial services, 36% to personal products and 16% to farm services.
Table of Contents
“Providing peace of mind so you can enjoy the things you love” is the tagline that you will see on the front page of their website. However, are they living up to their promise?
Yes, they might be living up to their promise. Hastings Mutual has a fairly strong range of products for both individuals, businesses, and life insurance. They offer a comprehensive list of home insurance coverage and enhancement packages, including Identity Theft, Personal Property, and Coverage Plus. Customers also say that Hastings Mutual rates are affordable. However, they only offer one discount – auto and home insurance bundle.
They have maintained a low profile and there are just a few customer reviews on forums and home insurance review sites. Complaints submitted by homeowners are clustered around claims handling, including denied claims.
If you want in-person customer support for your home insurance needs, Hastings Mutual is a good option for you. However, there’s one problem – you can’t obtain anonymous quotes online, which is a big disadvantage, because it will be a little inconvenient for some homeowners, especially if they’re busy because they have to either go to the company’s office or talk to their agent for hours on the phone.
You can file a claim and pay your bills on their website for convenience. However, it’s difficult to entrust your bank account to a website, especially today where cyberattacks are everywhere. Make sure to follow up with your agent immediately after you’ve paid your home insurance premium online to avoid problems.
Hastings Mutual Home Insurance Products
- Dwelling – Applied to your private residence and any building structures that are attached to it. It also includes cooling systems, water heating systems, heating systems, water softeners, on-site construction materials, and working outdoor antennas or reception dish.
- Other Structures – Applies to structures that are permanently attached to your home’s premises but aren’t covered by your dwelling. This includes sheds and fences.
- Personal Property – Applies to the contents of your home and other structures. It will still be covered even if it’s just your vacation home.
- Additional Living Expenses – It will reimburse you for the increased cost of living away from home when your property is unlivable due to a fire or another covered loss.
- Personal Liability – This will help you pay for bodily injury and property damage that you are legally liable to pay.
- Medical Payments – This will help you pay for reasonable medical payments.
Additionally, you can add these enhancements to your standard home insurance policy:
- Coverage Plus – This enhances your homeowners policy to guarantee additional protection for your home and personal belongings. Coverage Plus includes additional benefits such as:
- Replacement cost on personal property
- Increased sewer and drain backup
- Personal injury protection
- Increased identity recovery expense
- Increased debris removal
- Increased coverage limits on the theft of money, securities, jewelry and furs, firearms, and silverware/gold-ware
- Lock and entry replacement for stolen keys
- Increased credit card, fund transfer card, forgery, and counterfeit money coverage
- Loss assessment increase
- Mortgage extra expense coverage
- Incidental business liability coverage available
- Identity Theft – Additional coverage for any out-of-pocket expenses incurred as a result of identity theft or personal fraud of financial information. Additional limits are provided with the purchase of the Coverage Plus endorsement.
- Personal Property – You have the ability to add coverage for specific items such as jewelry, fine arts, boats and motors, eyeglasses/contacts, portable tools, dentures and hearing aids, lawn tractors, cellular phones, recreational vehicles, and personal computers.
The only discount they offer is the Multi-Policy Discount. You can be eligible for this discount if you bundle your home insurance with their auto or life insurance policies.
Financial Strength and Ratings
The company is financially strong with almost $980 million in total assets, writing $436 million in direct premiums in 2018 alone, according to Hastings Mutual official website, in their About Us page. This is backed up by an A.M. Best rating of A or Excellent, which means they are financially capable of paying out multiple claims.
Hastings Mutual earned 3.52 out of 5 stars in Clearsurance. 87% of the customer reviews have 4- and 5-star ratings, which means policyholders liked the company’s service. Some of them say that Hastings Mutual offered affordable rates and that the company really helped them with all their home insurance needs and claims. Only 1.3% gave a 1-star rating and they say that Hastings Mutual didn’t inspect their home when they filed a claim.
The Pros and Cons
Here are the pros and cons of Hastings Mutual:
- File claims and pay your premiums online
- Few negative customer reviews
- Affordable rates
- Comprehensive home insurance products
- Only available in 6 states
- One discount available