Kemper is a large and well-established insurance company in Chicago and its home insurance business is just one part of its operations. When it was founded in 1912 by James S. Kemper, it was called Lumbermens Mutual Casualty Corporation, selling accident insurance only to Chicago locals. It soon became one of the first to offer automobile insurance in Chicago and by 1919, Lumbermens expanded and offered their services to other states.
The company continued to operate and eventually changed its name to James S. Kemper & Company. During the late 1960s, the company moved to Long Grove and was known as Kemper Corporation. It expanded, even more, offering home insurance, life insurance, and others. Today, the company is known as one of the largest insurance providers, serving almost 50 states in the country.
Table of Contents
Kemper doesn’t offer the lowest rates and their customer service reviews are below average, which means a lot of their home insurance clients aren’t satisfied enough with the services Kemper provides. However, they offer some competitive discounts and home insurance coverage, which can be a good choice if you’re looking for these features.
The company claims to offer affordable coverage for the home insurance needs of their customers. They also say that you can count on them when you need them the most.
Is their claim true?
Sort of. As mentioned above, they don’t offer the lowest home insurance rates, however, if you’ll try to compare their rates against its competitors, it is more affordable. The prices of their home insurance vary depending on which state you’re living.
The second disadvantage about Kemper is that you can only get home insurance quotes through independent insurance agents, meaning you can’t buy coverage directly on their website or over the phone – you have to go into the company’s office and talk to an agent personally. This is a little inconvenient but it’s also beneficial at the same time because you will understand your policy more clearly when talking to an in-person agent. You can only pay bills, file claims, and check your claim status online.
When it comes to their customer satisfaction, the ratings are much lower compared to other big companies, such as State Farm and Geico. The most common complaint of dissatisfied customers is how the company processes and handles claims. They say that they received low payouts and payment delays when filing a claim.
Kemper Home Insurance Products
In order for you to save up on your home insurance, only get the coverage that you really need. Here are some of the types of home insurance coverage offered by Kemper:
- Guest Medical Protection – Regardless of who’s at fault, this can cover the medical expenses of the visitors who become injured or got in an accident on your property. The costs include hospital stays, ambulance rides, X-rays, and surgical procedures.
- Personal Property Protection – This will protect the items inside your homes, such as furniture and appliances by covering the cost and replacing them when it’s lost or damaged.
- Dwelling Insurance – Covers the payment when you rebuild or repair some of the physical structures of your home.
- Reimbursed Living Expenses – Example of this is when your home has been damaged and is being repaired or rebuilt, it will cover your bills on the motel you are staying until you’ve moved into your own home again.
- Liability Coverage – This will cover the property damage and bodily injuries sustained by others inside your home.
- Other Structures – It will cover structures such as gazebo, fence, tool shed, detached garage, swimming pool, or driveways.
Other than these coverages, you can also add some endorsements to your home insurance policies. This includes:
- Identity Theft Protection
- Valuable Items
The same as most home insurance companies, Kemper offers premium discounts to homeowners if they:
- Installed fire and smoke alarms
- Installed security system, such as burglar alarms
- Purchased home insurance premium for a new home
- Bundle auto insurance with home insurance
- Have hail-resistant or new-installed roof
Kemper earned 3.75 out of 5 stars from Clearsurance. 80% of the customer reviews have 4 and 5 star ratings, which means policyholders liked the company’s service. Some of them say that Kemper responds a few days after they filed a claim, while some say that they have great customer service and offers affordable home insurance premiums. Only 5.2% gave a 1 star rating and they say that Kemper is shady because after filing a claim, the company canceled their policy.
When it comes to their financial strength, A.M. Best gave the company an A- or Excellent rating, which means they can pay out claims of their homeowners, even when multiple claims are filed to them each day. Kemper is not included in the J.D. Power 2018 U.S. Home Insurance Study, unlike State Farm, Geico, and All-State.
The Pros and Cons of Kemper
To sum it up, here are the advantages and disadvantages of Kemper:
- In-person customer support
- You can file claims online
- Offers many discounts
- Serving almost 50 states
- You can’t get quotes online
- Below average customer reviews